|PIRA32 RDS Encoder Module
The PIRA32 RDS encoder is a result of more than 10 years experience collecting and meets requirements of most regional, local, RSL, LPFM and other medium- and small-coverage radio stations. Itís also highly suitable for service and development purposes.
Fully digital concept and uniquely effective design ensures high reliability, excellent signal characteristics and gives the user many advanced features while maintaining low acquisition costs. We can say the PIRA32 brought new standard to this branch. It's not a random that couple of manufacturers around the
world implement the PIRA32 in their transmission systems.
- Fully dynamic stand-alone RDS encoder
- Excellent spectral purity, direct digital RDS signal
- RS-232 control interface based on set of simple ASCII
commands or UECP protocol; OS independent, no driver required
- Control software includes powerful Windows GUI application;
remote control capability
- Firmware updates are free
- Addressing feature - individual or common control of the encoders in a network
- Amazing text features, advanced weekly scheduling
- Two switchable program sets (with optional DSN and PSN setting)
- Bypass relay, high reliability
- External TA and Program switch
- Switchable MPX loopthrough
- Internal real-time clock incl. backup battery,
showing real-time also as PS
- No special 19 kHz input needed - pilot tone internally
recovered from MPX signal
- Digital 57 kHz phase locked loop - rock stable RDS
subcarrier in all cases, the PLL will never lock to a pilot frequency outside the
- Easy and fast set-up
services directly supported by the unit
||Extended Country Code
||Transparent Data Channels
||In House Applications
||Program Type Name
||Open Data Applications
||Clock-Time and Date
||Enhanced Other Networks information
||Language Identification Code
||Traffic Message Channel
(The RDS services are described in Support)
Total text capacity:
- 25 kB - Equivalent to more than 3200 PS strings. Send text messages without
any space limitations!
- 100 text messages for off-line operation - up to 255
characters each sent as RT, dynamic/scrolling PS or both. Manual
or automatic switching.
- Four modes for dynamic/scrolling PS transmission at
selectable speed, incl. word alignment and one-by-one character scrolling.
|Supply voltage and current:
||8-15 V DC, 50 mA typical
|Total power consumption:
||only 0.5 W !!!
||conforms to CENELEC EN 50067 / EN 62106
|Output level of RDS:
||adjustable from 0
to 2.8 V p-p
|RDS signal bandwidth:
||+/- 2.4 kHz (50 dBc)
|MPX leadthrough voltage gain:
||1 (guaranteed from 2 Hz to 100 kHz)
||multimode software or external switch
|Internal clock inaccuracy:
||max. +/- 0.01 %
||pilot tone or internal generator
|19 kHz pilot PLL capture range:
||+/- 4 Hz
|Pilot tone level:
||min. 120 mV p-p
|Phase shift adjust:
||full range in 9.5 degrees steps
||RS-232 (DCE, 9 pins), bidirectional
||Threefold level sampling
||software switchable 1200-19200 bps
||8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit
|UECP protocol support:
|Exp. bus type:
|EEPROM memory capacity:
connect the PIRA32 to a computer?
The RDS encoder can be connected to a computer via USB adapter cable or
standard serial cable terminated by CANON D-SUB plugs.
Use this description if you wish to make the cable
As a next step, download the Magic
RDS 3 control software and you can start to use the RDS encoder at once.
The RDS encoder can be also controlled from
non-Windows operating systems (Linux, MS-DOS, ...) using any RS-232 ASCII terminal. The
command set is easy to learn and gives full control over the RDS stream. It's a strong
tool also for developers. You can find detailed description of
this advanced use in the manual.
Bidirectional interface provides all info about the
RDS encoder services status even if it's installed in neighbour room, abutting building or
on a transmitter site in mountains. Ethernet connection is supported by the control software as well.
For more information and set-up details download the manual.